LEAVE A COMMENT

December 31, 2013.

This blog is now closed. After three years and 311 posts, I have decided to end this blog. I have enjoyed watching the films, reviewing them, and interacting with global readers.

If you are interested in contacting me, you can do so by commenting on any of the posts. The blog will remain live on the web.
Thank you to all the readers for your comments, ideas, and thoughts. They were helpful, stimulating, and enriching. This is Alene, signing off.

February 28, 2013

Modra (Canada - 2010)

When it's over, this was surprisingly good. Lina (Hallie Switzer) and Leco (Alexander Gammal) are two teenagers who travel to the small town of Modra, Slovakia, to visit Lina's extended family. On their week long journey, they discover feelings for each other and learn a few things about themselves. This film was very much a coming-of-age slash docu-drama that begins in Toronto, Canada and ends in Europe. It explored the emotional obstacles adolescents face as they encroach on adulthood. There was angst, resentment, and lots of hurt that was expressed with great honesty by Lina and Leco. I was surprised by the casting of Switzer and Gammal, because they deviate from the typical Hollywood teen stereotype. Then, I realized I was not watching a Hollywood film, but an indie flick produced, directed, and written by award-winning filmmaker, Ingrid Veninger. Gone was the skinny girl in designer name clothes; and gone was the buffed-up jock who drives a muscle car. Instead, the film offered actors who looked like real people, which immediately made me identify with them. Another aspect I liked about the film was the setting. I felt transported to the small town of Modra, without having left my seat. The film captured the people and customs with genuine humbleness without exploiting them. The cinematography was picturesque, but still captured the story's intimacy about a family and two classmates who find each other and themselves. 

My rating: 3.5 out of 5





4 comments:

  1. I'm truly enjoying the design and layout of your blog. It's a
    very easy on the eyes which makes it much more enjoyable for me to come here and visit more often.
    Did you hire out a designer to create your theme?
    Outstanding work!

    Stop by my web page - Florida business directory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your compliment and words of support. To answer your question, I did not hire a designer to create my theme. I'm fond of contrasting colours, so white on black seemed to be the best choice, and yes, I also feel it's easier to read. I think simple is more. Thanks for visiting. Hope you will visit again.

      Delete
  2. I am really impressed with your writing skills and also with the layout on your blog.
    Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself?
    Anyway keep up the nice quality writing, it is rare to see a great blog like this one today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your positive words. I customize my own layout, but the template was chosen from Blogger. It is free when you create a blog with Blogger.

      Delete