LEAVE A COMMENT

December 31, 2013.

This blog is now closed. After three years and 311 posts, I have decided to end this blog. I have enjoyed watching the films, reviewing them, and interacting with global readers.

If you are interested in contacting me, you can do so by commenting on any of the posts. The blog will remain live on the web.
Thank you to all the readers for your comments, ideas, and thoughts. They were helpful, stimulating, and enriching. This is Alene, signing off.

August 10, 2012

The Vow (2012)

When it’s over, give me a pen and I’d like to re-write the ending to this disappointing film.  For the most part, romantic comedies are formulated and somewhat predictable.  Viewers know what they're getting, and on occasion, a few surprises can offer a bonus.  The Vow offers up a few surprises, but none of which strengthen the story nor draws the viewer in.  After a car accident causes Paige (Rachel McAdams) to suffer memory loss, her husband, Leo (Channing Tatum), must find a way to win her heart again.  Interesting premise.  Lots of potential for romantic wooing and “tug at your heartstring” scenes.  The key word is potential.  The film didn’t pull at any of my heartstrings.  I barely shed half a tear.  Most disappointing was the ending.  It was all wrong.  A traditional ending would have made the story come full circle and give it the emotional pull it needed to make the journey worthwhile for the viewer.  The ending sort of severed the emotional charge the film was struggling to build.  And struggling, this film was.  The pairing of McAdams and Tatum seemed like an exciting venture, but after watching them together, I wasn’t sold on their romance.  They looked good side by side, but the chemistry wasn’t there.  I didn’t see it, didn’t feel it.  Give Tatum a gun, he’s good (G.I. Joe: The Rise of the Cobra - 2009) ; give him a strip number, he’s good (Magic Mike – 2012); give him some serious drama, he’s not so good, no intensity, no passion.  McAdams doesn’t seem to have that “spark” she had in The Notebook (2004).  Her smile certainly still lights up the screen, but dramatically, she’s not convincing as Paige, boring and one dimensional.  The film is inspired by a true story, so I understand the ending, but it's Hollywood, and alterations do happen when it serves to the film's advantage.  This was one of those times when some changes should have been made.  Perhaps, an ending that reflected their vows, a sweeping testament of their unending love for one another might have won some swooning points.

My rating: 2.5 out of 5

4 comments:

  1. I too, watched this movie and kept anticipating something more. It did lack the "pull at your heartstrings" moments that it obviously had the potential to provide us with. I was trying to figure out what it was that was missing. Your comment about Channing Tatum's acting skills is bang on. This film would have fared far better with someone like Keanu Reeves in the lead role.
    I would give it a 5 out of 10.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Keanu Reeves might be too old for this role. I like Reeves a lot, and although he's not a very strong dramatic actor, he can be very charismatic when he's in the right role. Thinking hard on who could have played Leo better...some names that came to mind were Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Andrew Garfield, and maybe even Ashton Kutcher (with the right director pushing him).

      Delete
  2. I was also wishing for some more romantic scenes between the two; however, since it was based on true events I did enjoy it. Of course my favourite part involved Tatum's butt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you really like Tatum's rear, check out Magic Mike (2012).

    ReplyDelete