LEAVE A COMMENT

December 31, 2013.

This blog is now closed. After three years and 311 posts, I have decided to end this blog. I have enjoyed watching the films, reviewing them, and interacting with global readers.

If you are interested in contacting me, you can do so by commenting on any of the posts. The blog will remain live on the web.
Thank you to all the readers for your comments, ideas, and thoughts. They were helpful, stimulating, and enriching. This is Alene, signing off.

February 1, 2011

The Last Airbender (2010)

When it's over, I didn't complain.  In fact, I was glad.  The movie didn't appeal to me at all.  I think the idea of bringing this mystical cartoon to live action had great potential, but the execution failed to be entertaining or memorable.  The plot was weak; the love story never took flight; and the friendships never solidified.  The casting didn't help either with the actors giving so-so performances.  This film tells the story about a young successor to a long line of avatars, who must save the Water, Wind, and Air Nations from being enslaved by the Fire Nation.  This is not a simple story to tell, and when I heard M. Night Shyamalan was at the helm, I had great confidence that he would be able to transcend the complex storyline from the cartoon to live action and make it entertaining as well as fantastical.  However, I was wrong and disappointed with the lack of backstory and the lack of development in the main characters. 

My rating: 1 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment