LEAVE A COMMENT

December 31, 2013.

This blog is now closed. After three years and 311 posts, I have decided to end this blog. I have enjoyed watching the films, reviewing them, and interacting with global readers.

If you are interested in contacting me, you can do so by commenting on any of the posts. The blog will remain live on the web.
Thank you to all the readers for your comments, ideas, and thoughts. They were helpful, stimulating, and enriching. This is Alene, signing off.

April 22, 2011

Hanna (2011)

When it's over, I wondered how in the world did the producers get big actors, such as Eric Bana and Cate Blanchett, to sign on to do this very poorly done film.  Saoirse Ronan (The Lovely Bones) plays Hanna, a young girl raised and trained by her father (played by Bana) to become an elite assassin, who eventually discovers her true identity and origin.  This film felt like Clan of the Cave Bear meets Le Femme Nikita mixed in with some genetic engineering.  The soundtrack was horrible and made me feel like I was watching one of those old-fashioned dubbed Asian kung-fu movies, which had sudden gongs or drums to accentuate a dramatic scene.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy those kung-fu movies, and I've come to expect those sound effects, but for Hanna (replacing the gongs with techno beats) it just didn't work.  In fact, it was distracting and made the movie seem somewhat "cheap."  British director, Joe Wright has done some wonderful films in the past, and I'm truly disappointed that he failed to bring emotional depth to the flat, uncaring, and unresponsive characters.

My rating: 1.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment