LEAVE A COMMENT

December 31, 2013.

This blog is now closed. After three years and 311 posts, I have decided to end this blog. I have enjoyed watching the films, reviewing them, and interacting with global readers.

If you are interested in contacting me, you can do so by commenting on any of the posts. The blog will remain live on the web.
Thank you to all the readers for your comments, ideas, and thoughts. They were helpful, stimulating, and enriching. This is Alene, signing off.

April 28, 2012

Last Night (2010)

When it’s over, this is a film about adults for adults, and I haven’t seen a film as engaging since Closer (2004).  The film asks the question, what is considered cheating and what is worse – the act of a sexual act with someone you have no feelings for or the spending of a night in someone’s arms who you do have feelings for.  Last Night is about a married couple who are separated for one night.  While the husband, Mike (Sam Worthington), is on a business trip with an attractive colleague (Eva Mendes), the wife, Joanna (Kiera Knightly) unexpectedly meets her old flame (Guillaume Canet).  Within 36 hours, the married couple must choose between fidelity or infidelity.  The constant dance between “should I” or “shouldn’t I” is prevalent through the whole of the film, and it’s truly gripping as we watch Mike struggle between fidelity and lust, while Joanna faces the constant pull of love and loyalty.  Writer and Director Massy Tadjedin has crafted a story that’s thought provoking, realistic, and intelligent.  She’s woven her characters expertly with solid dialogue that not only develops character and story, but also allows a glimpse into their inner psyches.  The film is non-judgmental, and I found myself sympathetic to each of the four characters.  When the film faded to black, I didn’t want it to end.  It left the story hanging, but in a good way.  As much as I wanted to see whether Mike and Joanna would confess their previous night’s encounters, I think it was clever of Tadjedin for ending the film the way she did.  It makes the audience wonder whether their marriage will survive with or without knowing the previous night’s events.  Great performances.  Very well put together.  I highly recommend this poignant independent film about relationships and all its complexities.


My rating:  4 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment