LEAVE A COMMENT

December 31, 2013.

This blog is now closed. After three years and 311 posts, I have decided to end this blog. I have enjoyed watching the films, reviewing them, and interacting with global readers.

If you are interested in contacting me, you can do so by commenting on any of the posts. The blog will remain live on the web.
Thank you to all the readers for your comments, ideas, and thoughts. They were helpful, stimulating, and enriching. This is Alene, signing off.

November 6, 2011

Jane Eyre (2011)

When it’s over, this updated version of Jane Eyre doesn’t live up to its predecessors, especially the 1997 version starring Samantha Morton and Ciaran Hinds, which captures best Charlotte Bronte’s haunting tale about a governess who falls in love with the brooding master of Thornfield Hall, who harbours a secret that may threaten their happiness together.  This time, Mia Wasikowska and Michael Fassbender headline the cast.  Going into the film, I had expected  Director Cary Fukunaga to take the film in a new direction as most remakes do tend to aim to be unique while trying to stay true to the classic.  He started the film from the middle of the story, worked its way backward, then forward.  As much as I liked Fukunaga’s fresh approach to hook the viewer, I felt, overall, the film lacked the eeriness I’ve come to expect from “the secret” that lurked in the dark hallways of Thornfield Hall.  I didn’t get the gothic feel or mystery or horror that have become synonymous to the story of Jane Eyre.  Also, Mr. Rochester was too soft in nature.  I didn’t sense the man’s bitterness nor his pride or conceit, which were essential traits that made his character so likable and detestable at the same time.   Mrs. Fairfax, played by Judi Dench, was written into the script as more sympathetic than she should have been, thereby reducing her character’s importance in the film.  Lastly, as hard as Wasikowska tried, she just couldn’t capture the essence of Jane - the sadness, the tragedy, the strength of will and soul.

My rating: 2 out of 5

1 comment:

  1. Seen it finally! I must say, I agree with your review. It really lacks the gothic feel to it the way the earliest version had, especially the one with Orson Welles in it. This one's so drab and uneventful. Michael Fassbender has the right age,look and intensity to his stare but I wanted him to be more intimidating. Mia's Jane Eyre lacks a sort of inner fire, and she looks nothing more than just a sad child to me than someone who's been intriguingly harbouring tales of "woes". I understand that she has to look naive and innocent, but does she have to be such a downer too? They got the characters' ages right but somehow they don't mesh well together. I even like the playfulness of Toby Stephens and Ruth Wilson as Edward and Jane, though Toby can't match Fassbender's appeal(in my biased opinion).
    Maybe if they had actually made it longer and tried to develop the characters more the way Timothy Dalton's Edward version was developed. But take Mia out of the equation, please. I'm sure I can be a better Jane Eyre to Fassbender.. LOL!

    ReplyDelete