LEAVE A COMMENT

December 31, 2013.

This blog is now closed. After three years and 311 posts, I have decided to end this blog. I have enjoyed watching the films, reviewing them, and interacting with global readers.

If you are interested in contacting me, you can do so by commenting on any of the posts. The blog will remain live on the web.
Thank you to all the readers for your comments, ideas, and thoughts. They were helpful, stimulating, and enriching. This is Alene, signing off.

September 5, 2011

Adjustment Bureau (2011)


When it's over, I might look at men in fedora hats alot differently, and the teleporting doors...where can I get one?  Those doors were really cool and they added so much pizazz to the look and feel of the film.  The Adjustment Bureau stars Matt Damon as an ambitious politician, David, who falls in love with a beautiful dancer, Elise, played by Emily Blunt.  After getting a glimpse of the future, David must decide whether love is worth fighting for even though he must defy Fate.  I consider this film a mind bender, but not to the extreme of Inception, but enough bending to make the story original and stylish.  I really liked the universal theme of Fate, and although many films have tackled this theme in different ways, I particularly liked how this film actually gave Fate a physical form in the shape of men in fedora hats.  These men represent the Adjustment Bureau, an organization that adjusts people's lives through intervention and prevention, thereby creating their fates. The film suggests that our lives are predetermined by Fate, but ultimately, it states, through David, that we have the power to change Fate by our actions of courage, conviction, and passion - all of which I believe viewers can and do relate to.  Fate can't always be controlled nor should it be.  It's unpredictable and at times, it's determined by the decisions we make, and I think this film successfully explores all these elements.  Damon and Blunt were convincing as lovers separated by Fate's design, and willing to sacrifice everything to carve out a fate together.

My rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment