LEAVE A COMMENT

December 31, 2013.

This blog is now closed. After three years and 311 posts, I have decided to end this blog. I have enjoyed watching the films, reviewing them, and interacting with global readers.

If you are interested in contacting me, you can do so by commenting on any of the posts. The blog will remain live on the web.
Thank you to all the readers for your comments, ideas, and thoughts. They were helpful, stimulating, and enriching. This is Alene, signing off.

May 15, 2011

Hereafter (2010

When it’s over, if the film had ended any other way, I would have been very disappointed.   The Hereafter is about three people, three stories, and three differing experiences with death.  Matt Damon plays an American who has a special connection to the afterlife;  Cecile De France plays a French journalists whose near death experience changes her perspective on life; and twins, Frankie and George McLaren play a London schoolboy who tragically loses his twin brother and must find understanding and acceptance.  Throughout the film, I kept wondering when these three stories would meet, as I kept hoping they would.  However, director Clint Eastwood kept me waiting and guessing until the very end, when finally, the stories do thread together, and there is a sense of completeness and fulfillment for all three characters making the story, as a viewer, a more satisfying one.

My rating: 4 out of 5   

1 comment:

  1. A very slow-moving story, though it starts with a bang. I must have dozed off after the tragic death of one of the twins. But it's a good thing I stayed through, the ending is perfect. It just makes sense for all 3 characters to meet and feel a strong connection right away. I thought the film will be focusing on the tsunami event. It's more just about the aftermath of experiencing death around us or our own near death. The film shows how that experience can be very alienating, but very spiritual.

    ReplyDelete