LEAVE A COMMENT

December 31, 2013.

This blog is now closed. After three years and 311 posts, I have decided to end this blog. I have enjoyed watching the films, reviewing them, and interacting with global readers.

If you are interested in contacting me, you can do so by commenting on any of the posts. The blog will remain live on the web.
Thank you to all the readers for your comments, ideas, and thoughts. They were helpful, stimulating, and enriching. This is Alene, signing off.

June 1, 2013

Cosmopolis (2012)



When it’s over, Robert Pattinson’s character, billionaire Eric Packer, is highly concerned that his prostate is asymmetrical, and the journey to try and discover just exactly what that means begins, amongst other bizarre things. Here is another strange film from Writer/Director David Cronenberg, and “strange” doesn’t quite begin to explain how I perceive this film. I am pretty much confused throughout the film, and bored at times. It’s dreamlike style of dialogue and visual direction lulls me into a “sleep with one eye open” state. I have not read the book by Don DeLillo, but maybe if I had before going into this film, I might have gaged a better understanding of the events. The film takes place in one day in a custom designed limo traveling through the streets of Manhattan. Eric is on his way to get a haircut, but is constantly interrupted by individuals who pull him into somewhere deep within himself, that he does not completely understand. The film, like Eric, is detached and unfeeling, which is delivered through the speedy monotone dialogue, which sound like gibberish, since they do not mean anything, or at least, anything I can relate to in the film. The only thing I get from the dialogue is a sense of “I’m not sure what I’m talking about or what I want to do with myself” attitude, which could be exactly what Cronenberg is trying to convey as displayed in a scene where Eric shoots his hand, so he can understand and feel pain. Eric represents the filthy rich, the people who have done everything and have everything, and don’t know what else to do with themselves, because they are numb, oblivious to all that’s around them. For example, there is one scene where the limo drives through a riot. The limo is jumped on and spray painted, but Eric does not notice or acknowledge the violence outside the vehicle. The ending is a question mark, leaving the viewer to decide what happens, and I feel this is a poor ending to a very unrewarding journey. At least, let me have the satisfaction of seeing what happens. I do not recommend this film, unless you are a die-hard Cronenberg fan and crazy-in-love for Pattinson, but be warned, you will find no elements of Twilight's Edward in this film. Pattinson is completely transformed.   

My rating: 1.5 out of 5

















No comments:

Post a Comment