LEAVE A COMMENT

December 31, 2013.

This blog is now closed. After three years and 311 posts, I have decided to end this blog. I have enjoyed watching the films, reviewing them, and interacting with global readers.

If you are interested in contacting me, you can do so by commenting on any of the posts. The blog will remain live on the web.
Thank you to all the readers for your comments, ideas, and thoughts. They were helpful, stimulating, and enriching. This is Alene, signing off.

March 7, 2013

I Am Legend (2007)

When it's over, this is my second favorite zombie/undead film to date, just behind 28 Days Later (2002). Robert Neville (Will Smith) is the sole survivor of a man-made plague that has killed almost all of humanity. He struggles to find a cure to reverse the monstrous effects it has on its victims, known as Dark Seekers, by using his immune blood. I have seen both the theatrical and extended endings. The extended version offers a more developed story about the Dark Seekers and their possible intelligence. The theatrical ending is heroic and makes for good ticket sales. Personally, I prefer the extended version. Both versions have the butterfly smeared in blood on the lab glass, and the extended version explains the meaning behind this symbol.  If you didn't notice the butterfly, watch it again. It shows up briefly at the end when the Dark Seekers try to break into the lab, where Neville, Anna, and Ethan are trapped. Most of the film is shot without words as the story follows Neville on his daily routine of scavenging, working on a cure, and trying to search for possible survivors. The silence, solitude, and lack of characters really work in the film's favor, and the viewer is pulled into the solitary life Neville leads and the regiment he follows to stay sane. Smith does a fantastic job carrying the film. I am completely drawn into his character. Also, I cannot forget Sam (short for Samantha). She is Neville's loyal German Shepard who delivers a heartfelt co-starring performance. For readers who have seen the film, you will most likely understand when I say, Sam was the final straw for Neville. I like Legend most for its deviation from the stereotypical zombie traits. The Dark Seekers are fast, smart, and strong, making them a worthy adversary for man. The 1954 horror book by Richard Matheson with the same title and for which the film is based on is on my list to read, as I am curious to see how accurate the film is to the book. 

My rating: 4.5 out of 5



No comments:

Post a Comment