LEAVE A COMMENT

December 31, 2013.

This blog is now closed. After three years and 311 posts, I have decided to end this blog. I have enjoyed watching the films, reviewing them, and interacting with global readers.

If you are interested in contacting me, you can do so by commenting on any of the posts. The blog will remain live on the web.
Thank you to all the readers for your comments, ideas, and thoughts. They were helpful, stimulating, and enriching. This is Alene, signing off.

April 28, 2012

Apollo 18 (2011)


When it’s over, this documentary style thriller leaves you wondering if the conspiracy is all true.  The production design is quite convincing using found-footage style photography, the genre made popular by films such as Cloverfield (2008), Paranormal Activity (2007), and Blair Witch Project (1999).   In other words, lots of narration and shaky camera work.  In 1974, Apollo 18 is the mission in which two American astronauts are secretly sent to the moon.  What should have been a routine sample collection expedition turns into a confrontation with an alien species.  I think the idea’s interesting, but overall, I didn’t like this film.  The creatures were not at all original.  In fact, they were rather boring.  I was expecting something more “out there” in terms of how they looked and behaved.  After all, the setting is the Moon, so the possibilities are endless.  I learned nothing about the species, such as what their weaknesses were, how they survived on such a barren landscape, and what they intended to gain by attacking the humans.  The action wasn’t scary, but the film does consist of some scary scenes and disturbing images.  With a budget of $5,000,000, I’d have to give the film some credit.  It moved along well enough, and I didn’t fall asleep. 


My rating:  2 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment