LEAVE A COMMENT

December 31, 2013.

This blog is now closed. After three years and 311 posts, I have decided to end this blog. I have enjoyed watching the films, reviewing them, and interacting with global readers.

If you are interested in contacting me, you can do so by commenting on any of the posts. The blog will remain live on the web.
Thank you to all the readers for your comments, ideas, and thoughts. They were helpful, stimulating, and enriching. This is Alene, signing off.

August 20, 2011

Morning Glory (2010)

When it’s over, I was exhausted.   Keeping up with the frantic pace of the film was distracting and frustrating.  Rachel McAdams plays Becky Fuller, a highly ambitious producer who is hired to helm a failing morning television show close to being canned.  The job comes with more challenges than Fuller anticipates as she tries to juggle the tasks of keeping the show afloat and making sure the egotistical reporter, Mike Pomeroy (Harrison Ford), stays sober and does his job, while at the same time falling head over heels for Adam (Patrick Wilson), another fellow producer.   Fuller talks way too much and half of what she says is indecisive and gibberish.  I felt like shaking the poor girl so she’d snap out of it.   How Adam falls for her is beyond my understanding, maybe it’s the cuteness or naivety McAdams brings to Fuller that makes her likable.   Much of the story is unrealistic and in the “real” world, things would happen much differently, in a career setting as well as a personal setting, than it does in the film.  But, then again, this is Hollywood, and make believe is the name of the game.  So, I did get a few laughs out of the flick, and I really liked the cast, so that counts for something.  If I was producing this film, I’d give Fuller more depth.  She’s ambitious, she’s hardworking, she’s a “I can get it done for you” kind of employee.  I think most people can relate to that, but she’s not complete without a soul and heart and that’s what the film needs to work on – who is she outside of work, what are her weaknesses, what keeps her going, what motivates her?  Show me these things and maybe I’ll respect her a whole lot more.

My rating: 2.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment