LEAVE A COMMENT

December 31, 2013.

This blog is now closed. After three years and 311 posts, I have decided to end this blog. I have enjoyed watching the films, reviewing them, and interacting with global readers.

If you are interested in contacting me, you can do so by commenting on any of the posts. The blog will remain live on the web.
Thank you to all the readers for your comments, ideas, and thoughts. They were helpful, stimulating, and enriching. This is Alene, signing off.

February 14, 2013

Django (2012)

When it’s over, Jamie Foxx roxxs as Django, the slave turned bounty hunter in this pre-Civil War flick about revenge, justice, and bodies for sale.  After being freed from slavery by Dr. Schultz (Christoph Waltz), Django vows to find his wife (Kerry Washington) and rescue her from bondage from a ruthless plantation owner (Leonardo DiCaprio). This film is quintessentially Quentin Tarantino. It has all the trademarks – memorable characters, dark humor, great casting, stand out graphics, a well-chosen soundtrack, and plenty of violence. There are plenty of faces from the past that will make you say, “Who is that? I know that face.”  Actors include Don Johnson, James Remar, James Russo, Franco Nero, Tom Wopat, and Lee Horsley, who portray odd characters that amplify Tarantino’s dark humor.  Foxx, Waltz, and DiCaprio offer solid performances, representing three distinct classes – slaves, sympathizers, and slave masters. Samuel L. Jackson’s portrayal of the black man’s hypocrisy is grippingly real and, at times, disturbing. It is definitely his best performance since Pulp Fiction. There are many odd-ball moments, one in particular is the KKK Clan masks, which Tarantino includes to poke fun at the organization. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this film, despite the controversy surrounding the “n” word.  At first, it’s uncomfortable to hear, but the word quickly becomes ingrained into the dialogue.

My rating: 4.5 out of 5


4 comments:

  1. 4.5?? Seriously? a 4 MAYBE if I'm in a good mood. 4.5 is so close to perfection, and yet this movie is so far from it. Yes, solid acting. Yes, good characters... yes, intriguing story... yes, yes, yes. But a 4.5? No.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The film's not perfect, but it was daring and stylish, just what I'd expect from Tarantino.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all I would like to say excellent blog! I had a quick question that I'd like to ask if you do not mind. I was curious to find out how you center yourself and clear your head before writing. I've had a hard time clearing my mind in getting my ideas out there. I do enjoy writing however it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are wasted simply just trying to figure out how to begin. Any recommendations or hints? Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I worked on this blog, I did have moments when my mind went blank, but if you're patient, the words did come. Best advice I could give you would be to not give up; and perhaps, take a few minutes and get up and walk around, before coming back to your writing if you are having writer's block.

      Delete