LEAVE A COMMENT

December 31, 2013.

This blog is now closed. After three years and 311 posts, I have decided to end this blog. I have enjoyed watching the films, reviewing them, and interacting with global readers.

If you are interested in contacting me, you can do so by commenting on any of the posts. The blog will remain live on the web.
Thank you to all the readers for your comments, ideas, and thoughts. They were helpful, stimulating, and enriching. This is Alene, signing off.

October 12, 2012

The Bourne Legacy (2012)


When it’s over, I liked Jeremy Renner; I like Rachel Weisz; I liked the subtle romantic relationship between the their two characters, but I didn't like the story. I don’t think The Bourne Legacy had the quality of writing as did the original Jason Bourne trilogy. It wasn't as smart, not as intelligent.  It lacked mystery, intrigue, and meaningful characters. The film's flaws were camouflaged within the action. There were definitely some eye gluing action sequences in Legacy, including the scene on the rooftops and the motorcycle chase scene at the end.  In mentioning the motorcycle scene, I have to point out my disappointment in the Asian assassin whose role seemed important enough, until he was suddenly written out, without any substantial physical contact with Renner's character, Aaron Cross, the rogue agent who is being hunted by the US government.  Surely, I thought the two would duke it out.  After all, it only made sense, since the assassin had been chasing Cross for most of the later part of the film. Despite negative opinions from Bourne fans of the original trilogy, I thought the producers managed to successfully create a spin-off with Renner at the forefront. Within the film, there were a lot of references to Jason Bourne and the government’s invasive attempts at finding Bourne. These mini scenes offered a smart transition from one series of stories (the Bourne trilogy) to a new offspring of story lines, including this one in which Cross discovers he no longer wants to be a lab rat for the government.  However, his dependency on the government's drugs make him seek out Dr. Marta Shearing (Weisz) for answers to his medical condition. The whole science fiction behind the green and blue pills were never fully developed, and frankly, I thought the pills were rather silly.  Why pills?  Why not injections?  

My rating: 3 out of 5

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment