LEAVE A COMMENT

December 31, 2013.

This blog is now closed. After three years and 311 posts, I have decided to end this blog. I have enjoyed watching the films, reviewing them, and interacting with global readers.

If you are interested in contacting me, you can do so by commenting on any of the posts. The blog will remain live on the web.
Thank you to all the readers for your comments, ideas, and thoughts. They were helpful, stimulating, and enriching. This is Alene, signing off.

May 18, 2012

50/50 (2011)

When it’s over, watching Joseph Gordon-Levitt makes cancer more bearable.  Honestly, the main reason I saw this film was because of Gordon-Levitt.  Every time I watch this young actor, I’m amazed by his versatility and talent.  I don’t think there’s any role he can’t play.  In 50/50, Gordon-Levitt is Adam, a man who battles a rare form of cancer and is given a 50/50 chance of survival.  Early into the film, Adam is given this harrowing news and what follows is a procession of denial, shock, tears, and laughter.  Gordon-Levitt captures Adam beautifully with sensitivity and humour.  Some of the best scenes are when Adam is alone – how he looks, how he reacts to himself, and how he tries to look okay, when everything in his life isn’t.  The feelings of isolation and loneliness resonates in Adam’s facial expressions as he tries to act brave and independent, and it’s in these moments of courageous solitude that pulls at my heartstrings.  Aside from the drama, the film has its fair share of comedy.  I would have preferred the film to remain dramatic throughout, but I understand the need for it to have some humour, since, realistically, cancer would be unbearable without some form of humour.  In comes Seth Rogan as Adam’s best friend, Kyle, whose juvenile obnoxiousness serves as a vessel to take the edge off the daunting side of cancer, and in his own selfish way, helps Adam through the difficult journey.  The supporting cast was wonderful, including Anna Kendrick as Adam’s therapist and Angelica Houston as Adam’s mother. 


My rating: 3.5 out of 5


1 comment:

  1. I did not expect this to be really dramatic until I had heard that this is about cancer. I think it's a very good film, and I don't mind it being 50/50 humour and sadness. That's what life is all about. I can really relate to Seth Rogen's character. It's not easy being a friend to someone who has cancer. How would you even cheer them up? I guess I will just try to get them laid.

    ReplyDelete