LEAVE A COMMENT

December 31, 2013.

This blog is now closed. After three years and 311 posts, I have decided to end this blog. I have enjoyed watching the films, reviewing them, and interacting with global readers.

If you are interested in contacting me, you can do so by commenting on any of the posts. The blog will remain live on the web.
Thank you to all the readers for your comments, ideas, and thoughts. They were helpful, stimulating, and enriching. This is Alene, signing off.

July 13, 2011

No Strings Attached (2011)


When it's over, this film asks the much debated question of whether or not a man and a woman can have casual sex without becoming emotionally involved.  The film's answer is no.  Ashton Kutcher and Natalie Portman team up in this raunchy romcom about two friends who decide to become sex buddies, but what starts out to be fun and convenient develops into something more.  With all the kissing and fondling between Kutcher and Portman, I thought they would have developed some fake chemistry to make me believe these two characters were falling in love, but nothing, nada, zilch.  The story's flat and uninteresting and makes me wonder how such scripts get made.  I think Kutcher should verve away from romcoms and do some dramas (he was great in The Butterfly Effect and fared well opposite Kevin Costner in The Guardian).  I think Portman's acting ability is overrated as this film demonstates her "lack of" acting (however, I haven't seen Black Swan), and among the many films she's been in, I liked her best in Closer and The Professional.  

My rating: 2 out of 5


2 comments:

  1. LMAO!!! that's hilarious. Yes why did this film get made? I thought Natalie Portman's character was way to obsessive and crazy. They failed to elaborate on why her family was so convoluded and thus it did not create an understading for the viewer of why she was so crazy. Ashton Kutcher's character was just there. He was funny and entertaining as usual but what's new. It was like watching Just Married all over again. Overall I thought it was a mediocre romance comedy. Ah well if you have time to waste watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Strings Attached, Friends with Benefits, even Love and Other Drugs have this similar issue of casual sex. I swear, I think my generation is obsessed with this topic.
    I can see Natalie and Ashton's chemistry as friends, but not lovers, so their acting is not very believable. Natalie's skill in acting only shows up when she's working with a very good director i.e. Aronofsky in Black Swan, and in the film Closer.

    ReplyDelete