LEAVE A COMMENT

December 31, 2013.

This blog is now closed. After three years and 311 posts, I have decided to end this blog. I have enjoyed watching the films, reviewing them, and interacting with global readers.

If you are interested in contacting me, you can do so by commenting on any of the posts. The blog will remain live on the web.
Thank you to all the readers for your comments, ideas, and thoughts. They were helpful, stimulating, and enriching. This is Alene, signing off.

March 11, 2011

I Am Number Four (2011)

When it's over, I think the producers tried to cram too much into a 109 minute film.  I Am Number Four is based on the young adult novel of the same name and is definitely worth reading before watching.  The story follows a teenager named John, who is an alien with extraordinary powers.  He is next in line to be killed and must find a way to stay alive from the evil clutches of the Magadorians, another alien species set on destroying Earth.  The film does have its fair share of special effects, but wasn't enough to make up for poor performances and a loosely constructed script.  Science fiction stories require more backstory than other genres, and this film failed to inform the viewer of the "why" and of the "how."  We need to know why things were happening and how things got that way.  The book did this in dreams and flashbacks, perhaps the film should have followed.  Maybe a stronger script would have generated better performances.  Still the only person that truly shined was Number 6, played by Aussie gal Theresa Palmer, who really knew how to kick some alien butt.

My rating: 2.5 out of 5

1 comment:

  1. Agreed, I haven't read the book, and the movie left me with many questions. That being said, I didn't think it was as poor as you say. Especially with NO. 6!! She rocked!! :)

    ReplyDelete