LEAVE A COMMENT

December 31, 2013.

This blog is now closed. After three years and 311 posts, I have decided to end this blog. I have enjoyed watching the films, reviewing them, and interacting with global readers.

If you are interested in contacting me, you can do so by commenting on any of the posts. The blog will remain live on the web.
Thank you to all the readers for your comments, ideas, and thoughts. They were helpful, stimulating, and enriching. This is Alene, signing off.

August 31, 2013

Elysium (2013)

When it’s over, a sci-fi film with plenty of political undertones that comment on society’s world issues. Much like District 9, Director Neill Blomkamp highlighted the themes of isolation, segregation, and power. Max(Matt Damon) lives on Earth, overpopulated and ruined, but dreams of getting to Elysium, a man-made space station, where the wealthy live luxuriously. After being exposed to radiation and imminent death, Max risks everything to embark on a dangerous mission that will save his life and bring balance to the polarized worlds. The story was so-so.  Damon’s performance was better than I had expected.  Jodie Foster’s talent in portraying Delacourt, a government border control official, was wasted. I cared little for her role or the hard accent that became increasingly annoying as the story developed. Sharlto Copley as Kruger, Max’s nemesis, proved to be the most interesting character and best portrayed. Where action films and baddies are concerned, Copley’s performance was one of the best I’ve seen in a long time. He was like a wave of bad air that made you stop and cringe. He made me hate him, but also made me chuckle. He was so evil, that even when he tried to be kind, he came on as cruel.  If Max had the kind of presence to equal that of Kruger’s, then the film would have the emotional charge it lacked. On that note, the film attempted at a love story, but it felt more like a friendship than devoted love. The slower moments when the plot tried to explore the relationship between Max and Frey (Alice Braga) felt rushed, and the couple never seemed to get “their time” together. Elysium was an entertaining film, and I would not discourage anyone from seeing it. The visuals and set designs were well thought out and very believable. Blomkamp took me to two different worlds as what he envisioned 2154 to be. When I look back on this film, it was the visuals that kept me most interested, and not so much the characters.

My rating: 3.5 out of 5













No comments:

Post a Comment